Skip to main content

Inspiration

Ah, Inspiration.
As a poet, people and social interaction used to inspire me.  I guess it makes sense, after all, poetry is a form of communication, and I enjoy communicating with people on a level of cryptic-ness that borders on stealth.  That is to say, I often enjoy throwing things out of my brain in a way that amuses me, whether or not anyone else understands.  So, I would park myself on a subway, a public bench, a coffee shop booth, for hours at a time to observe and make my own observations, stories, or silently give advice to the characters surrounding me. 
As the "hours at a time" possibility faded, so did the poetry.
With jewellery, I am inspired from many, many, more perspectives.   It still takes a lot of time, but I find the combination of physical, mental, emotional, and... sometimes spiritual... effort put into those hours much more rewarding. 
At the moment, I am working on a pair of wedding bands, inspired by a very romantic story.  The couple knew of each other in the social circles of a beautiful Canadian city, moved on to live separate lives in other towns, then found each other again after many years and were engaged within months.  I am researching the skyline of the original city, iconic shapes/sights, and the provincial flower to provide a form and subtle motif that joins the two rings together in a personal, attractive way.  I am REALLY excited about this project and will be sure to post updates. 
I think the most wonderful thing about inspiration is its fluidity - its ability to take hold of one person to create something that inspires someone else to create again.
We share :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Good to be in Knots

 Through the pandemic, much cleaning was done.  Many boxes discovered, and their treasures revealed.  Treasures like old rings (too small), brooches (too outdated), and necklaces (too broken).  You may, like me, have wondered why treasure chests in the old movies always seemed to have loose gems in them.  There could be a terrible, historical reason for that I can cover in a another post, or it was just theatrical drama, but I think many people these days have similar stashes because they simply do not know what to do with them.   Over the last few decades, there have been literally tons of silverware and ornate jewellery deemed gaudy and melted down for money.  Diamonds get reset into new engagement rings.  But what about pearls?  How do you know if they are real, if they are worth anything, do they need to be treated in a special way, and what can you do with them? 1. Real pearls have a subtle, grainy texture.  Experts will look f...

August is for Space Aliens

I could end it right there.  There is enough going on, why not space aliens?  But let me explain... August is the month of heat, and last hurrah's, lions, dried grass, earlier evenings, and the stone that sums it all up - peridot.  I say "pear-ih-doh", but some people say "pear-ih-dot", and google translate agrees with them.   There are only 2 green birthstones.  One is Emerald, which is famous, and has ties to other stones in its Beryl family, like Aquamarine.  The other is peridot, sometimes called "the evening emerald" because it keeps its glowy green essence in low lighting, like an... alien?  No, not yet.  Stay with me.   Peridot gets its green from its iron content, which is unique in stones.  It comes in many shades, but no other colour, and is linked to no other gems.  It is a loner, a maverick, an outsider.  The world used to get its peridot from the Red Sea, but now peridot is mined from Pakistan to Arizona....

Have it Your Way...

 I love watching custom car reality shows.  I like watching the team pull various talents together, I like the resourcefulness, and I like to watch an idea become reality.  But, I really, really, like the look into what it's like to pull thoughts from a client's mind, to shape those thoughts with hints of what they enjoy, to fuse everything with what will actually work, and, hopefully, create something fantastic.  This is really what custom is supposed to be about - adventure.  Like most adventures you embark on with a stranger, the first custom project with a new client or artist is exciting, full of possibilities and hidden expectations. Clients have come to me with an idea for an engagement ring, a pendant, earrings, brooch or something innovative and new.  No matter the item, the conversations we have about musical tastes, favourite people, most memorable travel spots, and dreams for the future are what give me the information I need to create something...