Skip to main content

Inspiration Interview with Gillian E. Batcher of Jewel Envy and Pash.



Gillian E. Batcher owns Jewel Envy, a collaborative studio, where she designs and makes jewellery. In addition to making jewellery she teaches classes from her studio, George Brown College, and the Ontario College of Art and Design. She has a degree in Psychology from the University of Western Ontario and a certificate in Jewellery Arts from George Brown College, graduating from both with distinction. In addition to studying at George Brown she took an intensive jewellery course in Florence, Italy. Upon completing her training she was accepted into Harbourfront Centre’s   residency program where she worked as an artist in residence for three years. She has participated in numerous art shows and exhibitions in Canada and the United States and has been the recipient of various awards for both technical and artistic achievement.

Her work is about re-establishing a connection to the roots of craftsmanship. Techniques previously used for their working properties are used today for their visual appeal. “I explore the integration of these
divergent uses and highlight the relationship between function and form in contemporary jewellery. To illustrate this relationship, I use methods to create volume balanced by structures that create strength. This results in a body of work that combines the appearance of delicacy with the practicality of strength. These complementary ideas allow for the creation of comfortable, sculptural jewellery that stands alone, but comes to life on the body.”













 
What/who inspires you?
I find inspiration in a variety if places from architecture to other artists work and even raw materials such as plastic.

When have you had you greatest "A-ha" moments?
Inspiration is a funny thing. It can not be conjured just because you need it. I find my most creative moments are either when I am completely relaxed or just after I have had a disaster (real or imagined). When I am relaxed, often just before falling asleep, I have moments when everything falls into place and I envision what I want to make as a complete finished piece of jewellery. With the piece formed I can move onto the puzzle of solving how to make it. The other moment for inspiration is just after I think I have ruined something. In some cases I have in others I have not, but the shock often triggers my mind to start coming up with solutions and alternatives to what I have already tried.

What do you do when you feel you are in need of inspiration?
When I need inspiration I start by flipping through my sketch books to see if there is a design I would like to bring to life. If nothing appeals at the moment I look to the materials I have at my studio and in my home. If neither of these sparks my imagination it is time for a vacation! I always come back from trips with fresh ideas and ready to start new projects.





What do you feel you do to inspire others?
I am not sure if I inspire others. But if I do it is probably my strong work ethic.

Anything else you'd like to add... 
Take chances in your work and your approach to success. If you are lucky you will remember what does not work and apply the knowledge to figure out what does work. Try not to regret failed attempts regret missed opportunities and try not to miss future ones.


Thank You Gillian!

Please be sure to Check out Gillian E. Batcher's studio, Jewel Envy, and all it offers!
http://www.jewelenvy.ca/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing the new "Focus" line of aspiration rings.

I have been working on a new line of “dream driven” rings, which are now available at Jewel Envy in Toronto, and soon online. This line is based on a simple idea – stay focused on your dream. Many of us have vision boards, or other ways to inspire us and remind us of the things in life we want to manifest. However, once those visual reminders are out of sight, they can be out of mind. My vision is two-fold. One, a beautiful, easy to wear ring that helps to stay focused when making decisions about time, money everyday, all day. Two, a constant reminder of love and support as a loved one works towards their dream.  The rings follow a motif, but are elegant and subtle, leaving it up to the wearer to share the deeper meaning with those they deem worthy. Our dreams and goals are varied and individual as we are, but the Focus line has launched with three rings which look beautiful with or without the aspirations: Focus - Writing a Book:  This is designed with the aspirations of someone who w

New Topic: Courage

The first thing I would like to say about this topic is that it has taken me a long time to differentiate between courage and recklessness.  I will forgo posting wikipedia definitions of each, and say that I believe the deciding factor is in the measurement, concern, and knowledge of risk.  I have come to believe that if a person has no concern of any risk, or refuses to consider it before throwing himself into a ridiculous situation, he is reckless.  As adorable as it is, I firmly believe it does no good but to serve as a warning to others.  Courage, for me is when you know the risks, you know how hard it is going to be, but there is a lot depending on your success, so you push through a ridiculous situation, trying to cause as little damage as possible, with your drive focused on a larger good.  My confession is that my greatest moments of courage have come after moments of recklessness, when I've been clobbered with the consequences of my actions and had to work my way out and o

It's Good to be in Knots

 Through the pandemic, much cleaning was done.  Many boxes discovered, and their treasures revealed.  Treasures like old rings (too small), brooches (too outdated), and necklaces (too broken).  You may, like me, have wondered why treasure chests in the old movies always seemed to have loose gems in them.  There could be a terrible, historical reason for that I can cover in a another post, or it was just theatrical drama, but I think many people these days have similar stashes because they simply do not know what to do with them.   Over the last few decades, there have been literally tons of silverware and ornate jewellery deemed gaudy and melted down for money.  Diamonds get reset into new engagement rings.  But what about pearls?  How do you know if they are real, if they are worth anything, do they need to be treated in a special way, and what can you do with them? 1. Real pearls have a subtle, grainy texture.  Experts will look for clues like seams to give away mold lines in plastic