Skip to main content

Courage Interview with Cassandra Bazos

Cassandra Bazos is a jewellery designer from Oakville, Ontario.  She lives with a neurological disorder called Tourette Syndrome.  Tourettes is an inherited disorder that is characterized by multiple physical tics and at least one vocal tic.  Tourette Syndrome Foundation of Canada estimates that as many as 1 in 100 people may present symptoms of the disease.  The cause has not been established, although current research presents considerable evidence that the disorder stems from the abnormal metabolism of at least one brain chemical (neurotransmitter) called dopamine. Very likely other neurotransmitters, such as serotonin, are also involved.  Despite the apparent frequency of this disease at mild to severe levels, there are many misunderstandings and mysteries surrounding the symptoms, which have created a stigma.  As we think about courage, it's important to look at the type that emerges from our own fears, and in the face of the fear of others.  Here is what Cassandra has to say about it:

1. What does courage mean to you?
Courage to me is the ability to laugh in the face of fear,.  To dive off a cliff knowing that you don't know what lies ahead.  Courage is a powerful thing.  It's something we should strive for as individuals.

2. What are some of the challenges you've faced , what was at risk, and why did you decide to take the risks on?
Jennifer, as you know, I have Tourette's Syndrome and this is a challenge that I have faced since I was 16.  For the longest time I had no idea what was wrong with me.  At 24 I decided to get tested, I was determined to figure out what was going on.  When I found out that I have Tourettes it felt like my dirty little secret, I didn't want to talk about it, let alone tic in public,  I knew what the stigma was, I wasn't about to let myself be put in that kind of situation.  I was afraid for the longest time that people were going to think that I was different, that I was not normal.  Then I made friends with a group of people at school who were not only understanding but asked questions when I first mentioned it.  I was very surprised that life could be like this.  I decided to take on the risk because I knew that eventually I would have to 'face the music' and why not let it be now?

3. Did you surprise yourself? Were others surprised?
I decided that I shouldn't be living in the shadows and that Tourettes needs to be de-stigmatized to the point of acceptance.  I did surprise myself at first but now I feel stronger than ever in that what I am doing is right.  Don't get me wrong, some of the people I have told that I have Tourettes thought it was a joke.  It did hurt that they weren't taking it seriously but it also made me realize that education is key for a syndrome like Tourettes.  There's too much of a stigma behind it that we have to break.

4. Where did you learn courage?
I believe that courage comes from deep down inside of you naturally.  We all have the capability to strive for courage but not all of us use that power.  Sometimes it takes a devastating situation to bring courage to light, in other instances it just takes a push to get it to manifest.  Along with courage comes compassion, which is what makes us human.

5. Tell me about a time when someone you know was phenomenally braver than they thought they were?
I remember high school as a rather traumatic experience for me but I had a best friend to keep me company.  I was an extremely hyper child so it put other kids in a precarious spot as to how to deal with me.  With that being said, I got picked on a lot.  My best friend was quite a passive individual and never really got into a conflict situation.  One day I was being bullied and he jumped right into the middle and fought words with words to come to my aid.  I will remember that day always, he was my true hero, my best friend.  He was brave for me.

6. What is something now that you will need to take on, and what will it take to push through?
Wanting to educate the world on Tourettes is a daunting challenge.  It's one thing to tell your friends and your neighbours but it's another to tell strangers and work on projects that will impact the knowledge about the syndrome as we know it.  I am currently working with the TSFC (Tourette Syndrome Foundation of Canada) on a jewellery line that will be able to promote the discussion of Tourettes and hopefully educate those who don't know what the disorder is.  I am also planning to take part in the 2011 Trek for Tourettes to help raise money and awareness on education and research to find better ways to assist those with this syndrome.

7. Anything you'd like to add for those facing the same quest?
To those who are facing Tourettes or any neurological disorder, don't let it run your life.  Be open with others and educate.  I believe that education of all kinds is the best thing we can provide for fellow man in life.  Don't be afraid, jump into the abyss, you're not alone.  Tourettes doesn't define you as a person, it adds value and meaning to your life.  I would say that it will make you feel much better once you've gotten it out in the open but for some of you that won't be the case.  If you're not a 'jump off the bridge' kind of person taking baby steps towards your goal of telling the world work as well.  I know, I've been there too.  Baby steps are key.  Even if it's only telling a close friend or a teacher or your dog, once you get it out in the open you'll realize that everything will be okay.  That's when you'll begin to open up and want to tell the world about this wonderful gift you've been given.  Having courage is taking a step in the right direction, just remember that.

Thank You very much to Cassandra Bazos for giving her insights so generously.  For more information on Tourette Syndrome and efforts being made to help, please go to http://www.tourette.ca

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing the new "Focus" line of aspiration rings.

I have been working on a new line of “dream driven” rings, which are now available at Jewel Envy in Toronto, and soon online. This line is based on a simple idea – stay focused on your dream. Many of us have vision boards, or other ways to inspire us and remind us of the things in life we want to manifest. However, once those visual reminders are out of sight, they can be out of mind. My vision is two-fold. One, a beautiful, easy to wear ring that helps to stay focused when making decisions about time, money everyday, all day. Two, a constant reminder of love and support as a loved one works towards their dream.  The rings follow a motif, but are elegant and subtle, leaving it up to the wearer to share the deeper meaning with those they deem worthy. Our dreams and goals are varied and individual as we are, but the Focus line has launched with three rings which look beautiful with or without the aspirations: Focus - Writing a Book:  This is designed with the aspirations of someone who w

Jewellery Holds Our Memories

Jewellery is often with us during special moments, experiences, and milestones. Sometimes it is given to us by a special person, or in a special way, or at a special time. Our jewellery pieces carry these memories for us, even when we didn't mean them to. Sometimes, there are experiences so personal, and so common, that we keep them in our own special way, and only share them with certain people, when we feel the time is right. It might be through a song, a poem, sculpture, or painting, and this is often the way that artists touch us in the deepest way - by channeling, sharing and expressing our stories. As a goldsmith, my poetry and sculpture is precious and portable. I am acutely aware that I am always creating vessels that may carry memories and emotions which haven't happened yet, but sometimes, I also get to design pieces that can carry an emotions someone has been holding alone. This is a special connection we artists have, and always have had, to the human experie

It's Good to be in Knots

 Through the pandemic, much cleaning was done.  Many boxes discovered, and their treasures revealed.  Treasures like old rings (too small), brooches (too outdated), and necklaces (too broken).  You may, like me, have wondered why treasure chests in the old movies always seemed to have loose gems in them.  There could be a terrible, historical reason for that I can cover in a another post, or it was just theatrical drama, but I think many people these days have similar stashes because they simply do not know what to do with them.   Over the last few decades, there have been literally tons of silverware and ornate jewellery deemed gaudy and melted down for money.  Diamonds get reset into new engagement rings.  But what about pearls?  How do you know if they are real, if they are worth anything, do they need to be treated in a special way, and what can you do with them? 1. Real pearls have a subtle, grainy texture.  Experts will look for clues like seams to give away mold lines in plastic